top of page
og1.png

su07

Football

Pallion, Football Ground

54.908934010444874, -1.4295414401279138

Pallion, Sunderland

Opened:

Unknown

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

21 Apr 2023

HER Description

NEHL - Pallion was home to two football grounds in the 1940s in a newly developed area east of the Saturn Works and just north of St Luke's Road. This ground was the westernmost iteration, and features on the 1940s Ordnance Survey map with a clubhouse in the southern corner against St. Luke's Road.

The ground was still extant through the 1950s, and there were a number of clubs who played in Pallion at the time. Pallion Marine were one such, and may have played here.

The ground can be seen on an aerial photograph from 1956. The ground is vacant however it is difficult to tell if it is still in use by this year.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_540_1792_f21_0251 flown 13/03/1956

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page