top of page
og1.png

stly04

Bowls

View Lane Park, Bowling Greens

54.875212, -1.690024

Stanley

Opened:

1920s

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

6 Oct 2023

East Stanley BC

HER Description

NEHL - View Lane Park was opened in the 1920s to conceal an old quarry which provided stone for much of the town's buildings. It was commenced in 1923 with a grant to relieve the critical unemployment situation in the area, but the grant ran out half way through and the park was only half completed for a number of years. Minor continued until a second grant was approved, and work on the near 8 acre site was completed around the mid 1920s.

The park opened with two separate bowling greens on either side of the park - both with a pavilion though the east green was much larger and longer. East Stanley Bowling Club played at the ground against local teams such as Consett Park.

The west green has now been demolished and replaced with Tanglewood Mews assisted living. The east green has now been flattened and replaced with a basketball court.

Ordnance Survey

Ordance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The bowling greens can be seen above the centre of the image. Source: Google Earth, 1940s satellite imagery

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page