top of page
og1.png

sp08

Tennis

Mount Pleasant, Tennis Courts

54.701985, -1.584479

Spennymoor

Opened:

1891

Closed:

1900s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2023

Tudhoe and Mount Pleasant Tennis Club

HER Description

NEHL - The first record of a tennis match at Mount Pleasant is in 1891, when Tudhoe came up against Seaton Carew Ladies at Mount Pleasant. The courts were of the lawn variety, so was likely an open plot field with the tennis net erected for the matches.

The lawn club appear to have been fairly successful, with the AGM reporting on the "flourishing club" and continued to have similar meetings for the next decade or so.

Unfortunately, no maps outwardly illustrate the grounds however it is likely to have stood on the south side of North Road. Multiple rectangular enclosures are illustrated, and the ground remains undeveloped after the tennis club folded by the 1910s.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page