top of page
og1.png

sp07

Tennis

Clyde Terrace, Tennis Ground

54.695032, -1.611651

Spennymoor

Opened:

1920s

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis ground was located on what is now the grounds of Whitworth Park Academy from c1920s until the mid 20th century.

It appears there are two adjoining courts with a small clubhouse on the southern boundary. The entrance appears to be via a cut from Clyde Terrace. The grounds were likely redeveloping in the construction of the school. Traces can be seen on aerial photography from 1948.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The remains of the grounds can be seen on the extreme left, alongside the aforementioned clubhouse. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_b_36_v_5197 flown 17/05/1948

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page