top of page
og1.png

shil01

Cycling, Football

Dean Street

54.633833, -1.650662

Shildon

Opened:

1888

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

3 Jul 2023

Shildon Bicycle Club (1888), Shildon United, Shildon AFC, Bishop Auckland

HER Description

NEHL - A bicycle track was opened at Dean Street in 1888, which preceded the football ground by some decades. It was opened by the Shildon Bicycle Club, and its opening saw "a series of athletic sports" to inaugurate its opening on the previously vacant field. The opening saw a wash out due to rain, with much of the schedule being cancelled.

Cycling continued here into the next decade. Competitions were held by the club, featuring half mile and mice races, flat races and particular events for novices. There was also a 100 mile race on the 500 yard track.

It was in the 1890s when the ground changed hands. Contemporary newspapers state Shildon United used the ground from at least 1898. United were previously called Shildon Town, and played at a couple of other grounds throughout the decade.

The cycling track was bought out and the new ground was formally opened in September 1898 by the Shildon Wagon Works manager. Shildon United were part of the Northern League Division Two, but had to fold due to financial issues. They were later reformed as Shildon AFC in 1903, and took the place of Stockton St Johns in the Northern League and moved to the North Eastern League in 1907.

In 1921, the grandstand and turnstile block was officially opened by club president Michael Watson JP before a North Eastern League game against Darlington Reserves. It drew a crowd of 6000.

The Dean Street ground is still in use, and has been the scene of FA Cup Proper matches, as well as victories in the historic Durham Challenge Cup.

Bishop Auckland also used the ground on a temporary groundsharing agreement until Heritage Park was completed.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1920

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The Dean Street ground in 2010, featuring the original stand. Source: Peter Robinson, Geograph

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The Dean Street ground in 1948

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page