top of page
og1.png

sh01

Horse

Shincliffe Race Course

54.745122, -1.545940

Shincliffe

Opened:

1895

Closed:

1914

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Aug 2022

HER Description

NEHL - A horse racing course existed to the west of Shincliffe between 1895 and 1914, before the advent of the First World War. The first meeting was ran under the title of the "North Durham and Shincliffe Steeplechases" at Shincliffe Bank Top. This meeting was so successful a limited company was established to construct and maintain and permanent course and grandstand.

A second meeting took place in the autumn of 1895, catering for the working clientele in the area. Races continued until May 1914, and thereafter the land was taken over by the Ministry of Defence. Post-war, executives could not afford to reopen the course and was actioned in 1925, becoming farmland.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page