top of page
og1.png

sedg02

Cricket

Back Lane, Cricket Ground

54.655865, -1.446476

Sedgefield

Opened:

c1840s

Closed:

c1890s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

19 Jun 2023

Sedgefield CC

HER Description

NEHL - This site appears to be the likely location of Sedgefield Cricket Club's first ground in the 1840s. The first tangible reference of the cricket club comes from 1849, when the village played against Thornley in the July.

The piece in the Newcastle Guardian states a match was played a few weeks earlier, pinning the first match to at least June 1849.It seemed this match brought some fanfare - the Thornley Amateur brass band had played, and breakfast was provided by Mr Lowes of the Dun Cow Inn. This further bolsters the notion cricket was played here as the Dun Cow was on the other side of the road.

By the 1880s, a piece in the South Durham & Cleveland Chronicle reports on difference arising in regard to the ground used by the cricket club. No substantive reason is stated, but it may have been a contributing factor to their move to what's now Station Road.

Though the ground is never formally illustrated as a cricket ground, it presents indicators you would expect. A small rectangular building is shown on the north west corner of the site in the 1890s maps, which is also enclosed.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page