Abbs Field, Football Ground
30 Jun 2022
Sunderland AFC (1884 - 1886)
NEHL - Abbs Field was the fifth ground to host SAFC, after Horatio Street and before Newcastle Road. The first game played there was a 2-1 friendly against Birtley. It was the first professional ground where spectators were charged a fee to watch the team, and is also where Sunderland first played with red & white stripes.
Some 6 months after their first match, around 1,500 paying supporters watched Sunderland beat Birtley once again in the semi final of the Durham Challenge Cup, a competition that continues today. This was the second to be held, and Darlington won in the final. SAFC only lost 3 matches here, each time from a Scottish side. They lost 11-1 against Port Glasgow Rangers in 1885.
SAFC moved to Newcastle Road in 1886 after the landlord attempted to increase rent by 500%. The site is now occupied by housing.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.