top of page
og1.png

sacr03

Cricket

Sacriston, Cricket Ground

54.819385, -1.630203

Sacriston

Opened:

c1900s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

4 May 2023

Sacriston CC, Sacriston Colliery CC

HER Description

NEHL - The cricket ground at Sacriston has been open since at least the 1900s when the ground was first enclosed. It is likely the ground was not utilised for sport in the 1890s as the boundary of the field was not established and may still have been farmland or common land. However, by the 1910s similar boundaries were created to the current pitch, and by the 40s the area is formally illustrated as a cricket ground on Ordnance Survey maps.

In the 1910s the ground appears to have a small pavilion and an entrance from Front Street. This was expanded by the 1940s with a longer narrow pavilion on the south east corner of the ground.

Cricket is still played here, with Sacriston Colliery, founded in 1874, playing their home matches here.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page