top of page
og1.png

pcl01

Shooting

Port Clarence Rifle Ranges

54.600247, -1.207738

Port Clarence

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

1910

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

1 Feb 2024

HER Description

NEHL - This long stretch of land north of Port Clarence was once the site of a large rifle range complex, opened for public use rather than military. It was built on reclaimed sand and mud flats, and featured at least 5 ranges. There were no buildings nor amenities, and access was reached via a long footpath from Tennant Salt Works or potentially the Greatham Creek Branch line.

It closed around 1910, and stood disused through this decade. By the 1930s nothing remained.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page