og1.png

new02a

Racquets, Billiards

Newgate Street, Racquets Court

54.971004, -1.616647

Newcastle

Opened:

1822

Closed:

19th c

Demolished

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Jul 2022

HER Description

"This place of recreation was built, by shares of £25 each, in 1822, and opened in the following year. The Racket Court, which is covered, is 112 feet in length, and 62 feet in breadth. Parallel to this is a large Billiard Room, with four dressing-rooms, a convenient bath, and other necessary accomodations. Above is another large Billiard Room, with a dome light. A gallery adjoins, from which spectators may view the progress of the game in the court below. This building is approached by an entry in Newgate Street, and communicates by a private door with the Assembly-rooms, to which gentlemen may retire for refreshment. It is well lighted with gas, and is open from nine o'clock in the morning until nine o'clock at night. "

A Descriptive and Historical Account of the Town and County of Newcastle by Eneas MacKenzie, kindly supplied by Steve Ellwood

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png