top of page



Littletown, Cricket Ground

54.782680, -1.473979








Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

24 Jan 2023

Littletown CC (1850 - 1896)

HER Description

NEHL - Littletown CC played cricket in this field from the 1850s until the mid 1890s, and is visible on the 1890s Ordnance Survey. There was a small pavilion in the south eastern corner of the ground, though there were little other facilities except a maintained pitch around what appears to be scrubland.

Littletown CC were established at least in 1850, if not earlier. The Durham Chronicle of September 1850 reports on a match between Littletown CC and Cassop played on this ground. Littletown won the game with 6 wickets.

The ground was closed in the mid 1890s, though the club continued until folding in 1963. The club was reformed in 1985, folded again in 2006, and again reopened in 2012 playing at its current ground.

Thanks to East Rainton CC for the info.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page