top of page
og1.png

kim01

Cricket

Kimblesworth Cricket Ground

54.818532, -1.596594

Kimblesworth

Opened:

1890s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

22 Nov 2022

Kimblesworth CC, Kimblesworth Colliery CC

HER Description

NEHL - This cricket ground at Kimblesworth was first bedded in in the 1890s with the founding of Kimblesworth CC. Contemporary newspaper articles describe matches as early as 1895 between clubs such as Hermitage CC and Sacriston Colliery. Though the ground isn't labelled on the 1890s maps, the ground is laid out and a pavilion constructed, which is the same building as the pavilion labelled on the 1920 Ordnance Survey Map.

Two clubs played here - Kimblesworth CC from its outset, and Kimblesworth Colliery CC from around the 1920s. A piece from the Chester le Street Chronicle of Feb 1923 advertises for tender transport from the ground to places like Allendale, Burnhope, Consett, Shotley Bridge and Tanfield.

The ground is still used by Kimblesworth CC.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page