top of page
og1.png

gai01

Cricket

Gainford Green

54.545779, -1.737840

Gainford

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

19th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

7 Nov 2022

Gainford Academy

HER Description

NEHL - Cricket was played on Gainford Green on a number of occasions in the 1860s between Gainford Academy and various other clubs in the region, including Bishop Auckland Temperance Clubs and Darlington. It does not appear there were any competition elements, so were likely exhibition matches. Cricket did continue into the 1870s at Gainford, though unfortunately no information is given as to where their home matches were played.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Gainford Green in the late 19th century, after we can confirm cricket was played here. Gainford Academy was the larger building on South Terrace. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page