top of page
og1.png

fen03

Athletics

Comrades Club Running Grounds

54.845181, -1.502537

Fencehouses

Opened:

1929

Closed:

1935

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 May 2024

HER Description

NEHL - The Fencehouses Comrades Club hosted its own running grounds from 1929 until around the mid to late 1930s. The grounds are not illustrated on Ordnance Survey maps, but was certainly in the land between Station Avenue North and Avenue Vivian to the east of the old Leamside Line.

It is continually referenced throughout these yards as the location for foot handicaps which were fairly popular. Races were generally 80 yards and featured folk from across County Durham.

Foot running in Fencehouses was popularised by J Burnard and J Addinell, noting in the Sunderland Daily Echo it had took a stronghold within the past few years before 1935. Advertisements were ladened in local newspapers to endure its popularity. Any mentions after this year however appear to have dissipated well before the outset of the war. There is also no indication on aerial photography from the 40s.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page