Witham Hall, Tennis Ground
18 Oct 2022
NEHL - A tennis ground can be seen on maps through the 1910s and 1940s as well as aerial photography. It appears to have been on the grounds of Witham Hall, next to a reservoir which was presumably the town's water source. There was a small pavilion on the east side of the ground.
It is unconfirmed when the site was demolished, but Witham Hall was brought down in 1974. The area is now scrubland.
Ordnance Survey, 1916
Eaglescliffe, 1932. The tennis ground can be seen in the top left near Witham Hall. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW038903 flown 01/07/1932
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by