top of page


Horse, Cricket, Bowls, Tennis, Rugby, Hockey, Football

Durham Racecourse

54.774526, -1.562138








Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

11 Aug 2022

Durham University

HER Description

NEHL - Previously the site of the smithy for the Prior of Durham, this site became a fully fledged racecourse around 1733. Before this, it was held at Framwellgate Moor, Brasside Moor and Durham Moor.

Throughout its history quite significant races took place here. An article from the Durham Chronicle lists the programme of April's races of 1848, featuring prizes of 50 sovereigns for the Maiden Plate, £50 for the Member's Plate and 10 Guineas for other races. In 1873, a two day event saw 90,000 spectators.

There were considerable facilities, including a pavilion in the centre of the course. A wealth of other sports took place within the course too. After racing stopped in the area, the area had two cricket grounds, a lawn tennis ground, a bowling green, a boat house and room for rugby and football. In more modern times it is used for hockey, squash and fives also. The Miners Gala of course also takes place here.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Aerial shot of the course in 1948 during the Miners Gala, well after racing ceased. Durham Elvet Railway Station can also be seen. Source: AW017419, Historic England

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page