og1.png

D48714

Shooting

Castle Eden Rifle Range

54.739043, -1.355773

Castle Eden

Opened:

1860

Closed:

1950s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Jul 2022

HER Description

The Castle Eden Rifle Range was formed in 1860 and used by the 16th Durham Rifle Volunteers on land opened up by Rowland Burdon (1). The range shows up on the second edition Ordnance Survey map of 1894 between the Castle Eden Brewery and Parklands areas (2). The 100, 200 and 300 yard targets are shown at 100 yard intervals running north/south while there are a number of other targets plotted that have a separate and irregular spacing. Mapping data suggests the range had gone by the 1950's, the only feature marked as an 'Old Target' on fifth epoch OS maps (3). Date range of the site suggests it might well have been used as a military training site during the First World War and WW2. No extant features are visible on modern aerial photographs (4). the land now used as Castle Eden Golf Course.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png