top of page
og1.png

bur03

Cricket

Burnhope, Cricket Ground

54.829283, -1.705700

Burnhope

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

28 Nov 2022

Burnhope Colliery CC, Burnhope CC

HER Description

NEHL - Appearing on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps as a "recreation ground", Burnhope Colliery Cricket Club played here since at least the 1890s, although a Consett Guardian piece from 1871 implies the existence of a Burnhope Colliery CC at that point. The ground was constructed next to Burnhope Colliery and an old Smithy, and a quarry was founded around the 1880s. It can be confidently suggested the ground dates from the 1870s, though it is impossible to say.

There was a pavilion on the south west end of the ground, which appears to have been demolished in the 1910s in favour of a clubhouse on the north east end, next to the colliery.

Burnhope CC are the current tenants of the ground, with a new clubhouse on the north west corner of the ground.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page