top of page


Rugby, Cricket

Cartington Terrace, Sports Ground

54.989452, -1.581013

Heaton, Newcastle


19th c




Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

12 Jul 2022

Medical RFC, Northumberland Cricket Club

HER Description

The College of Medicine's rugby club is known officially as Medical RFC (or more commonly 'the Medicals'). Their ground dates back to the club's formation in 1898. The pavilion was built in 1936 to designs by Newcombe & Newcombe. The timber grandstand was built in 1933. It was restored and reopened in 1988. Timber grandstands are increasingly rare in Britain. This one is the third oldest stand in Tyne and Wear (the oldest being at Newcastle Racecourse, the second being at Ashbrooke, Sunderland). The club crest is shown on the back of the stand - a serpent entwined around a rod, a symbol representing the Greek god of medicine, Asclepius.

NEHL - Northumberland Cricket Club also relocated here after previously playing at Bath Road in Newcastle town centre. They moved here due to projected development in the 1890s, so Lord Armstrong offered the land with a ten year lease. A cricket ground and pavilion were constructed, Cricket is still played here alongside the Rugby, but the ground was considered remote considering the rurality and distance to Heaton railway station.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page