East Rainton, Cricket Ground
East Rainton, Sunderland
29 Jul 2022
Hazard Colliery Cricket Club, East Rainton CC
In existence by 1851. The pitch was also encircled by the embankment carrying the railway from Hazard Pit (now footpaths). A pit pony was used each year to pull the grass cutting machine. He was stabled in a small shed next to the pavilion. The club has played in four different fields. Known as East Rainton Cricket Club when the pit closed 1935. The Football Club took over the original cricket field as their pitch. They had to change in the Village Tavern as they had no pavilion.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by