top of page
smallblue.png

WAL001

Tyne

Wallsend

Swan Hunter (Tyne Pontoons & Dry Dock Co)

Wallsend

54.983075, -1.532950

Useful Links:

Opened:

1880

Closed:

Owners:

Wigham, Richardson and Co. Ltd., Tyne Pontoons and Dry Docks Co. Ltd., Swan Hunter

Types built here:

Floating Dock

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

River Tyne Dry Dock, Engineering & Boilermaking Co Ltd

Estimated Output:

1

Construction Materials:

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

13/06/23

Description

The dry docks and Pontoon on the border between Wallsend and Walker was built in 1882 by Wigham, Richardson & Co. Ltd.

They established the Tyne Pontoons and Dry Docks Co. Ltd to construct floating pontoon docks. According to Tynebuiltships, the Army and Navy Institute approached the Tyne Improvement Commission to construct a quay, gridiron and dry dock here as there was no port which could accomodate the new larger ironclads for the navy. This yard was built on land previously used as staiths from the Burradon and Coxlodge collieries. The first floating dock was launched in 1885 and a second by Swan Hunter in 1891. Another dry dock was later added.

The company was later taken over by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson and was amalgamated into the huge complex from Low Walker to Wallsend. The yard is still visible and in use in the late 2000s, though by 2012 the docks were filled in.

It is currently lying extant.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ordnance Survey, 1916

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page