Northumberland Shipbuilding Co., Shipyard
H S Edward & Sons (1883 - 1888), Rowland Hodge (1898), Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. (1899 - 1930)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Howdon was the home of several important shipbuilders in the 19th century. The Northumberland Shipyard was one of these significant producers.
It was first laid out by H S Edward & Sons in 1883, and after his death in 1898 acquired by Mr R Hodge. Hodge was previously the manager for C.S Swan & Hunter at Wallsend. For £6,000, Hodge transferred ownership only a year later to the Northumberland Shipbuilding Co., who were the mainstays at the yard for the rest of its life.
The company changed hands in 1918 to Workman Clark, a Belfast shipbuilder. A brief period in 1926 saw work stop, though restarted and continued until 1930. 343 ships were built under the Northumberland brand, meaning about 400 were constructed here in total for naval, trade and passenger purposes.
The yard was sold to National Shipbuilders and dismantled in the 30s.
Ordnance Survey, 1899
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by