King John's Palace, 1864
King John's Palace, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
King John's Palace, 1898
King John's Palace, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

press to zoom
King John's Palace, 1946
King John's Palace, 1946

Ordnance Survey, 1946

press to zoom
King John's Palace, 1864
King John's Palace, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
1/4
King John's Palace, 1929

Name: King John's Palace/Camera of Adam of Jesmond

Region: Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Date of Origin: 13th Century

Site Type: Fortified Manor House/Castle

Condition: Ruined

Status: Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II Listed

Last Updated: 18/05/2020

Website: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016633

Address: 54°59'05.8"N 1°35'00.1"W, Just off Heaton Road at Armstrong Park

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/116

"The monument includes the remains of a fortified medieval hall house known locally as the Camera of Adam or King John's Palace. It is situated on high ground overlooking Heaton Park. The visible remains include the north wall, north west turret, and part of the east wall and earthworks to north and south. The remains are constructed of coarse grained sandstone blocks and are Listed Grade II. The north wall survives to its full length of approximately 12m, and stands to a height of about 8m. There is a modern doorway in the ground floor level and a large window in the first floor level, which would have lit the principal room, the hall. On the west end of the south face of the north wall are two doorway jambs. The north west turret is 3m square and stands to about 8m. The north end of the east wall survives to approximately 8m high. The height of the wall decreases to the south and where the survival of the first floor level ceases, approximately 7m from north wall, it survives to a height of only 6.5m. The ground floor level survives for a further 3m. The northernmost 3m of the east wall are thickened by an extra 0.2m and probably supported a turret on the north east corner. A window is present at the point where the thickness of the wall is reduced . Internally both the north and east wall are reduced in thickness at the first floor level to create a projecting internal ledge to support the floor. The remains of the west wall can be seen as a low earthwork extending out from below the doorway jambs in the north wall and following the edge of the tennis court for 10m before becoming indiscernible. The earliest reference to the monument is in 1267 when it is mentioned in a licence to crenellate for Tarset Castle. Its construction has been associated with Adam of Jesmond, who was Sheriff of Newcastle in 1262-4 and 1267. It is believed to have been abandoned by the 17th century, though it continued in use as farm buildings until 1897 when attached buildings to east and west, and a stable within, were removed and consolidation of the remains was carried out. The metalled footpath which runs through the monument and a metalled tennis court are exluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included." - Historic England

KING JOHN'S PALACE

HEATON