top of page
full size.png

wyl04a

Wylam Colliery

Wylam

54.977986, -1.810976

Ann Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

19th c

Entry Created:

21 Mar 2023

Last Updated:

21 Mar 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Christopher Blackett (1820s), John Blackett (1840s), Wylam Coal Co. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Ann Pit of Wylam Colliery was situated east of the village along the North Wylam to Newcastle railway line. It is illustrated on the 1864 Ordnance Survey map featuring at least 4 sidings and 2 ancillary buildings, with a small waste heap to its south between the mainline.

The shaft can no longer be seen above ground, but the boundary of the pit is still retained as part of the grounds of a farmyard. The shaft is underneath one of the farm buildings.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page