top of page
full size.png

wa03a

Etherley Colliery

West Auckland

54.648063, -1.722869

Rush Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1869

c1920s

Entry Created:

28 Mar 2024

Last Updated:

28 Mar 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Henry Stobart & Co.

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Rush Shaft stood around 100m from Low Greenfield Farm, north of West Auckland.

It was a modest site, opened in 1869 by Henry Stobart & Co., as part of their wider exploitation of the lands around Etherley in the mid 19th century. This was one of their small pits, employing 98 people in 1915. Compare this with the 562 at George Pit a decade prior. It was known as "The Rush" and the sinking of the shaft was done under the direction of Mr Henry Oliver of Escomb. The pit was directly connected to the George Pit as per a newspaper article in 1885.

There are few references to this colliery apart from sudden accidents. During the sinking, a married 35 yr old man named Thomas Yates fell down the shaft after missing his hold. A brakesman named Thomas Sewell died from scalds after washing out a boiler, and left a widow and family in 1878.

There are no above surface remains of the pit today, though there were remains in the 40s as per aerial imagery.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

The disused Rush in the 1940s. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page