top of page
full size.png

slal01a

Colpitts Colliery

Slaley

54.894178, -2.035719

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

pre-1920

Entry Created:

14 Apr 2023

Last Updated:

14 Apr 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

William Wear (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Colpitts Colliery stood against the B6306 road from at least the 1890s until pre-1920s. It was a relatively small working, with a small tramway working from a level to the waste head on its northern side. It was, and still is, a very rural location, which will most definitely have made it difficult to run at a profit. It may have been used locally or for a cottage industry nearby.

It is shown as disused on the 1920 Ordnance Survey map - There was a level as well as a shaft here. The area is now wooded.

It is worth nothing the name 'Colpitts' derives from a nearby farm. The farms name may originate from even older "coal pits" in the area.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page