top of page
full size.png

shil01b

Shilbottle Colliery

Shilbottle

55.364765, -1.662774

Grange Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1925

1982

Entry Created:

9 Jan 2023

Last Updated:

9 Jan 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Co-Operative Wholesale Society Ltd. (1925-1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Grange Pit was the last of the Shilbottle Collieries operating, through to 1981. It was a substantial site linked to the East Coast Main Line near High Buston, and became the main centre for operations after the Longdyke Pit closed in 1924.

Ordnance Survey, 1966

Ordnance Survey, 1966

Undated photograph of Shilbottle Colliery, presumably 70s or 80s. Source: Northumberland Archives, NRO 8693/10

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page