10 Mar 2023
10 Mar 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - The 1890s maps notes an Edgewell Colliery on this site, with the map surveyed in the 1850s featuring an 'old shaft' on the site. As a result this site is likely a pre-1850s coal mine, perhaps related to the Edgewell Brick Works next door. A small building on the south of the brick works look like it is retained from the time of coal working, though it is difficult to conclude.
The working was reopened in the late 1880s, as an advertisement in the Chronicle of 1889 states a James Telford was seeking out a coal hewer to work at the pit, and 'preferably single' highlighting the dangers of the work. a tramway linking the brickworks can be seen on the map.
The site was later an infectious diseases hospital that was demolished by the 1940s.
Ordnance Survey, 1897
The pit was seen in the centre of the photograph next to Highfield Lane. Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_fs_2227 flown 04/10/1947
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by