Chester le Street
Pelton Fell Colliery
22 Jan 2022
Lord Dunsaney & Partners (1869), Mid Durham Coal Co. Ltd. (1929), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This colliery is situated about 2 miles west-south-west from Chester-le-Street. It was commenced by Messrs. Kingscote and Co., but is now carried on by James Reed, Esq., and Partners, who have, since they came into possesion, effected many valuable improvements in the concern. The ground was broken for the air-shaft on August 12, 1835. The depth of this shaft is 64 fathoms, and that of the working shaft 52 fathoms. The seam wrought is the Hutton, which is here from 4 feet 4 inches to 4 feet 6 inches thick. The winding engine is of 25 horse power, and the pumping engine 100; but it has not yet been found necessary to exert the whole power of the latter. The coals are transmitted by the Pontop and Shields (the Stanhope and Tyne) Railway, a distance of about 13 miles, to the staiths at South Shields.
Extract from 'Views of the Collieries' (1844), retrieved from Durham Mining Museum
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.