Scremerston, Restoration Pit
10 May 2022
11 Apr 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
This is the site of the old Restoration Pit. It was part of the Scremerston Coalfield. The pit operated from 1828 to 1840. Little remains now, apart from a few cottages. Its shaft was later used as a shaft to improve ventilation for the nearby Greenwich Colliery.
It was connected to the Scremerston Waggonway, which first terminated at Greenwich Colliery and led down the Scremerston Incline to the Newcastle and Berwick Railway.
The last legacy of the pit is the Restoration Cottages, named after the pit which stood in an area of sunken land which is still visible on the green behind the cottages.
Ordnance Survey, 1866
The shaft was situated in the centre of this photo, where the dip can be seen.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The shaft was located behind the cottages in the centre of this aerial shot. The route of the Scremerston Waggonway can clearly be seen.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by