full size.png

N28600

Choppington Colliery

Choppington, Northumberland

55.157637, -1.621490

B Pit

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

7 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Lambert, Nicholson & Co. (1860s), Bebside Coal Co. (1880s), Bebside & Choppington Coal Co. (1880s), Choppington Collieries Ltd. (1930s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info

Chopping Colliery B Pit is depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1898, not the 1866 edition. It is visible on air photos taken in the late 1940s and at that time comprised the colliery buildings and structure, a reservoir, a large spoil heap and a short terrace row. It was linked to the A Pit and beyond that the mainline railway by a wagonway. This are has now been relandscaped.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

B Pit (Background), 1963. Source: John Parkin, Flickr

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0