full size.png

n026a

Nettlesworth Colliery

Edmondsley

54.836522, -1.619853

Nettlesworth Drift

Opened:

1839

Closed:

1974

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

5 Aug 2022

Owners: 

George Elliott & Johasshon (1850s), Sit George Ellitt, Bart. & William Hunter (1860s), Charlaw & Sacriston Collieries Co. Ltd. (1890s), Waldridge Coal Co. Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"The Nettlesworth and Kimblesworth collieries are carried on by the above firm [Messrs. Hunter and Elliott], the former in Plawsworth township, and the latter in that of Kimblesworth. Here are worked the "Five Quarters," 3 ft. at 14 fathoms, at Nettlesworth ; "Main Coal," 3 to 4 ft. at 26 fathoms , at Nettlesworth, and worked by a drift at Kimblesworth ; "Low Main," 2 to 3ft., 54 fathoms, at Nettlesworth, and about 26 at Kimblesworth ; "Hutton," from 2 ft. 4 in. to 3 ft. 6 in., at 66 fathoms, Nettlesworth, and 38 at Kimblesworth. The Busty is not yet won at these pits. The average daily output is 400 tons per Nettlesworth, and 1000 tons at Kimblesworth, and the numbers employed are 250 and 600 respectively. The coal, which is principally shipped at Tyne Dock, is known in the market by the name of "West Leverson Wallsend.""

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Nettlesworth Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0