full size.png

n015

Newfield Colliery

Willington

54.693249, -1.685250

Opened:

1841

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

14 Jul 2022

Owners: 

Bolckow Vaughan (1860s), Dorman Long (1940s), National Coal Board (1948)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"Newfield Colliery, which has been working since about 1840, is being worked by Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan, & Co. The "Busty" seam, 4 ft. 6 in. thick, is principally worked at a depth of nine fathoms ; it is reached by a shaft. The "Beaumont," 2 ft. 10 in., and the "Harvey," 2 ft. 9 in., are worked by drifts from the Busty. The output, which amounts to 500 tons per day, is converted into coke, and used at the company's works. There are also large fire brick works, supplied with clay underlying the Beaumont Seam. The number of men and boys employed is about 600."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0