full size.png

m006A

Murton Colliery

Murton

54.817940,-1.379962

Dalton Winning Colliery

East Pit

Opened:

1838

Closed:

1991

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

21 Jan 2022

Owners: 

South Hetton Coal Co. (1843), National Coal Board (1947), British Coal (1986)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"Murton Colliery was commenced in 1838, and after tremendous difficulties, was sunk to the Hutton seam, a depth of 246 fathoms. The other workable seams won in sinking were the Five Quarter seam, 178, Main coal, 204, and Low Main, 226 fathoms. There are three shafts, two of which are sub-divided, and used for drawing coals and men ; the third, or West pit, is used as an upcast shaft for ventilating purposes. The ventilating arrangements are on a most extensive scale, a volume of not less than 460,000 cubic feet of air per minute being made to circulate through the workings, which is supposed to be the largest quantity passing the workings of any single colliery. Electricity and gas are used for lighting. The daily output is over 3000 tons, and includes steam, gas, household coal, &c., in the production of which, including the coke-works, nearly 2000 men and boys are employed. The coals from this colliery are shipped principally at Seaham Harbour and Sunderland, the company having a private line of their own to the former port."

- Extract from Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham retrieved from Durham Mining Museum

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Murton Colliery, 1900. Source: Newcastle Libraries

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0