top of page
full size.png

fer01a

Chilton Colliery

Ferryhill

54.670828, -1.570521

No. 1 Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1872

1966

Entry Created:

20 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

20 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

South Durham Coal Co. (1879), Lord Eldon (1884), H. Stobart & Co. Ltd. (1900s), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1927), Dorman Long (1934), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Chilton Colliery was formerly worked by Pease & Partners, but was closed down by them in 1931, and was reopened by Dorman, Long & Company in 1934, when a considerable amount of reconstruction work was carried out. The present output is 950 tons a day from the Five-Quarter and Main Coal seams. The whole of the coal is machine mined, about two-thirds by Hardiax machines, and the remainder by pneumatic picks. There is a Sherwood Hunter washer of 120 tons per hr. capacity and a battery of 52 Simplex coke ovens. Over 50 per cent. of the coal won is coked, the balance going for works, gas and domestic account."

Iron & Coal Trades Review 1937 (via Durham Mining Museum)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page