North Brancepeth Colliery
17 Oct 2022
17 Oct 2022
North Brancepeth Coal Co. Ltd. (1880s), Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1930s), Brancepeth Coal Co. Ltd. (1940s)
Description (or HER record listing)
"The North Brancepeth Coal Co. Ltd., are also working the royalties in this township [Brandon and Byshottles], at their Littleburn Colliery, where three shafts are engaged, two for drawing coals, and one for pumping and upcast. At the Boyne pits there are two shafts used for ventilating purposes."
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum
NEHL - Littleburn Colliery was a fairly extensive complex featuring a brick works, two shafts and a large number of coke ovens in the 1890s. There were 3 lines of terraces just north named Princes St and Railway St, as well as a public house named the Colliery Inn. It was directly connected to the East Coast Main Line.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Rough quality photograph of Littleburn Colliery. Undated, unknown source.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by