20 Oct 2021
Bell Bros. (1906), Dorman Long (1923 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
This is the second of two mining sites to be named Bowburn Colliery. The first lay to the south (see H6988). This second pit was sunk in 1907 and was owned by the Bell Brothers, the first extraction of coal occuring in 1908. The site had two engines which were described in detail by Atkinson in 1974 as follows:-
'Harvey' winding engine - double horizontal cross-compound steam engine by Robey, 1923 (no.41170). Piston valve engine with Stephenson's link motion - cylinders 11ins diameter x 22ins stroke, post brakes and Robey over speed and overwind prevention gear. This engine wound a single tub cage from 80 fathons in the same shaft as the Busty engine. Disused but complete until it was demolished in 1968. Ceased work 1966. 'Busty' winding engine, double horizontal steam winder, 1908, by Airdre Iron Co LEO. Cylinders 13.5 in. x 13 in. stroke. Carliss valve gear, Whitmore steam brake by King of Nailsworth, overwind prevention gear by Worsley Mesnes of Barrow, working pressure 160 p.si. Powered, together with Harvey engine, by three Lancashire boilers. Winds from 109 fathons, working twin-tub cage in same shaft as Harvey engine. Both demolished 1968 (2).
The colliery was served by a spur line that connected to the Newcastle, Leamside and Ferryhill railway to the immediate west of the site. By the time of the First World War the colliery employed 370 men. The colliery closed in 1967 and the majority was landscaped and levelled by the 1980s.
Ordnance Survey, 1923
Bowburn Colliery, undated. Source: bowburnhistory.co.uk
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us