top of page
full size.png

D70621

Elvet Colliery

Durham

54.768519,-1.572387

South Engine Pit

Opened:

Closed:

18th c

1908

Entry Created:

17 Jan 2022

Last Updated:

2 Jan 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Backhouse, Mounsey & Co. (1840s), T Crawford (1860s), Elvet Colliery Co. Ltd (1900s)

Description (or HER record listing)

The Enclosure Award of Elvet Moor in 1772 refers to some mines. Elvet Colliery was sold in 1815 and probably abandoned in 1816. A new Elvet Colliery started in 1828 and produced coal for some years (1). A shaft is extant on the 1st edition OS map.

NEHL - The Elvet Colliery was one of the oldest in the area, as noted above. It was a small complex devoid of a rail link, and was predominantly landsale exploited by residents of the city. It can be seen on the 1850s maps as a small parcel of land, with only a couple of above ground buildings with the shaft contained. By the 1890s it had expanded slightly eastwards, now featuring a pit pond with pumped water and a number more auxiliary buildings.

By closure in 1908, the pit had a workforce of 56 men and boys, and were paid off despite a large quantity of coal remaining. The pit had a daily output of 70 tons from the Hutton seam. The manager at the time of closure was a Mr William Johnson.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Elvet Colliery in 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Elvet Colliery in 1905. Source: Gilesgate Archive

Elvet Colliery in 1905. Source: Gilesgate Archive

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page