top of page
full size.png

D5924c

Cliffords House, Coal Drift

Esh Winning

54.784035, -1.721112

Opened:

Closed:

1868

20th c

Entry Created:

17 Feb 2023

Last Updated:

17 Feb 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Messrs. R. S. Johnson & T. M. Reay (1867), Owners of Hamsteels Collieries (1860s), Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A drift radiating from Hamsteels Colliery was located in this field near the village of Quebec, previously Cliffords House. The drift was one of three utilised by the owners of Hamsteels Colliery.

Unlike the iteration to the west, it doesn't appear there is any remains left, though it is in a wooded area so there is a possibility.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page