top of page
full size.png

c010a

Cambois Colliery

Cambois

55.155427, -1.526218

Opened:

Closed:

1862

1968

Entry Created:

16 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

16 May 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Cowpen & North Seaton Coal Co. (1860s), Cowpen Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Cambois Colliery opened in 1867, and quickly became one of the most productive in the country with an output of 325,000 tons in the early 1870s. At this time, the pit employed around 900 men who mostly resided in the terraces that sprawled around the pit for this purpose. The pit featured a pumping engine built by Hawthorns of Newcastle and was one of the most modern in the region, critical given the beachside location pumping 500-600 gallons a minute.

The 1890s map illustrates the pit as a huge complex, with a brickworks on the beach side and a sprawl of sidings around the pit pond and the colliery rows. There were at least two shafts, and it appears waste was dumped into the sea via tramways connected to the main complex. The working utilised the staiths at Blyth Harbour to transport its coal to other areas of the country.

Cambois Colliery was first sunk by the Cowpen & North Seaton Coal Co., later owned by the Cowpen Coal Co and the nationalised National Coal Board in the 40s. Most of the buildings in these parts were built with bricks produced by the Cowpen Coal Co, and donated the required materials to the institute and the church.

The pithead baths remain as does much of the land the pit sat on. Cambois greyhound track was constructed on the site. The bus stop also remains, which ferried pitmen to and from neighbouring towns like Blyth, Bedlington and Ashington.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Cambois Colliery in 2024, featuring the pithead baths and wider site.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Screening Plant at Cambois Colliery, undated. Source Unknown

Screening Plant at Cambois Colliery, undated. Source Unknown

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page