top of page
full size.png

bu01b

Burnhope Colliery

Burnhope

54.829100, -1.696963

Fell Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1893

1949

Entry Created:

25 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

25 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

J. Townley & R. Fletcher (1860s), Fletcher & Sowerby (1880s), Utrick A. Ritson (1880s), U. A Ritson & Sons Ltd. (1900s), Ritsons (Burnhope Collieries) Ltd. (1930s), Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1939), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Burnhope Colliery is the property of Utrick Alexander Ritson, Esq. The area of the royalty is 837 acres, and all the well known seams of the Durham coalfield are represented. The Busty seam yields a splendid coking coal, while the coals of the Harvey, Hutton, Low Main, and Five Quarter are unexcelled for gas making purposes. The present output reaches from 800 to 900 tons per day."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

NEHL - The pit was connected by a waggonway over Abbetson's Sike to a drift in the north west. As it was connected via rails this may be Engine Pit but it is not possible to confirm. There was also a shaft at the main site itself.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page