top of page
full size.png

bilt01b

Shilbottle Colliery

Shilbottle

55.380412, -1.688648

Shilbottle Old Pit

East Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1845

19th c

Entry Created:

9 Jan 2023

Last Updated:

9 Jan 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Thomas & Hugh Taylor (1840s), Messr. Taylor (1860s), Shilbottle Coal Co. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The East Pit was The Taylor's second or third pit in the area, situated just off the main lane between Lesbury and Shilbottle. It was fairly modest with coal transported with horses rather than via rail, though the pit did operate its own smithy here. The shaft was on the west side of the site. The lane adjacent to the pit is still in use, and the roadside still expands to the previous route before it claimed part of the colliery site.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page