top of page
full size.png

b068a

Binchester Colliery

Bishop Auckland

54.680446, -1.632057

Opened:

Closed:

1855

1908

Entry Created:

2 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

2 Jun 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Robson & Jackson (1850s), Hunwick & Newfield Coal Co. (1860s), Bolckow, Vaughan & Co. Ltd. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

The principal lessees of the land are Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan, & Co., who also work the royalty, by the two pits, Binchester and Westerton. The Binchester is working the Harvey seam at a depth of 40 fathoms, having a thickness of 3 feet 8 inches ; and the Brockwell, 4 feet 3 inches thick, at a depth of 80 fathoms, the two producing and output of 800 tons per day. The Westerton pit adjoins the Binchester, the two being one as regards the surface. Here the Five Quarter and Main coal seams are being worked at a depth of 80 fathoms ; drawing 350 tons per day. There are 395 coke ovens, and the coal for coking purposes is washed by Robinson's patent washers. A Guibal fan, of 36 feet diameter, is placed at the Westerton pit, which ventilates the two. The waste gas from the ovens is utilised for heating the boilers. The two pits employ no less than 800 men and boys in all.

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Binchester Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page