Monkseaton Coal Mine
Monkseaton, North Tyneside
8 Sept 2021
The Northumberland County History suggests the priors of Tynemouth worked or let out coal pits in the Monkseaton area, but the earliest published document is the account of Robert Arderne, the Queen's collector in Tynemouthshire, for 1577-78, which records the receipt of 20s of new rents for the pit or pits and mines of coal acquired, opened, dug or won in the territory of Monkseaton and other nearby places. The pits had been let to John Robinson for 21 years by letters patent dated 24 July 1584 (there is clearly some confusion over these dates). In 1584 the Monkseaton pits were drowned out, but mines did appear to be working in this area in the 17th century.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us