Delaval Benwell Colliery
3 Sept 2021
14 Jul 2023
John O. Scott (1860s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Delaval Colliery is shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan, but is not shown on the 1st edition plan, indicating that it opened after 1858. The colliery had a firebrick works from 1873-1906, belonging to John O Scott. In 1900 it produced 5 million firebricks.
NEHL - The colliery stood atop the hill above what became Armstrong's works, and was connected by a small tramway above the Newcastle to Wylam Railway to a coal stage on the Tyne. It appears there was also a small drop on Scotswood Road for wagons to transport to the Delaval Colliery brick works on the Tyne. The cramped nature of the pit meant the heap was partly located on the other side of the railway.
The site is currently disused, with large scale residential development taking place close by as of 2023.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Delaval Benwell Colliery, 1905. Source: West Newcastle Picture History Collection, Creative Commons License
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The site of the colliery in 2022.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by