East Kenton Colliery
3 Sept 2021
6 Sept 2021
Description (or HER record listing)
Kitty's Drift, an underground railway was apparently built from East Kenton Colliery to staiths on the Tyne in 1770. A subterranean tunnel and the colliery ("Kenton E.t") is shown on Lambert's map of 1807. The colliery is shown as a "pit heap" on a plan of East Kenton Estate of 1841 and "pit" on Bell's map of 1847. On Oliver's map of 1851 it is shown linked to Old Engine Pit by a road or wagonway. On the 25" first edition a shaft is marked. Shown as Old mine shaft and spoil heap on Ordnance Survey second edition. Still shown as an old shaft on the Ordnance Survey of 1941.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by