3 Sept 2021
16 Mar 2022
J. Lamb, Potters, Jobling's Trustees (1850s), R. O. Lamb (1860s), Terale & Kirton (1880s), Kirton, Rowell & Dodd (1880s), Walbottle Coal & Firebrick Co. (1890s), Lemington Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)
Description (or HER record listing)
Walbottle Colliery. Opened before 1828. The earliest pit may have been Duke Pit (HER 3930), which could be as early as 1740. The other pits were Blucher Pit (HER 3939), Coronation Pit (HER 3984), George Pit, Percy Pit, Union Pit (NZ 177 674) and Wellington Pit (NZ 177 674). Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Aerial view of Walbottle Colliery
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
A second aerial view of Walbottle Colliery
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by