8 Sept 2021
A detailed plan (TWAS D/NCP/19/3) of the workings of Walker Colliery drawn after 1796 includes the Henry Pit and graphically shows that intensive pillar and stall workings extended under the site now occupied by Walkergate Hospital. In the early19th century Walker Colliery had 10 pits working, including Henry Pit. As early as 1817 it was reported that Henry Pit was close to exhaustion. It was disused by 1843 and is marked as such on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us