top of page
full size.png


Spital Tongues, Coal Shaft


54.984466, -1.628335




19th c

Entry Created:

7 Feb 2023

Last Updated:

7 Feb 2023




Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft was sunk in this location at Spital Tongues during either the 18th or 19th century, and was in use until at least the 1850s. It is likely this shaft was connected to Spital Tongues Colliery which was just west near Hunters Moor, and was connected to the riverside by the Victoria Tunnel. The shaft is annotated as a mine entry by the Coal Authority.

When the area was redeveloped by terraced properties, a vacant plot was left between houses leaving the shaft in situ. It was probably because the ground was unstable and wasn't filled in.

Nowadays, the shaft still hasn't been built over. It's next to the car park at Mill House.

Ordnance Survey, 1894

Ordnance Survey, 1894

The site of the shaft. It was rectangular, so is unrelated to these kerb type slabs.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page